Here’s a quick post about my food this weekend.
Spinach, Bacon & Pine Nut Pasta on Saturday, sausage & egg sandwiches on Sunday.
Spinach, Bacon & Pine Nut Pasta.
I wanted to make something ‘Summery’, tasty, filling, and quick for us both following a hard Saturday of cash-splurging. The lemon in this dish gives it a flavour of the Summer and is an interesting twist.
Time: I think it was about 30 minutes
- 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil (plus extra for drizzling)
- 300g pasta (I used tagliatelle, but you may prefer pappardelle)
- 4 rashers streaky bacon
- 50g pine nuts
- bag of spinach
- black pepper.
- Large pan
- Frying pan.
- Grate and juice the lemon
- Cut bacon in to strips
- Remove any thick spinach stalks.
- Mix the lemon zest and juice with the olive oil, season and put to one side
- Put the pasta on to boil
- Dry fry the bacon until golden – tip in the pine nuts and cook with the bacon until toasted
- Drain the pasta, return to the hot pan and tip in the spinach leaves, stirring gently until wilted
- Add the bacon, pine nuts and the lemon dressing
- Serve drizzled with a little olive oil and sprinkled with black pepper.
It was very nice (we bucked tradition and had it with a frosty glass of cider).
Sausage and eggs sandwich – breakfast to make you smile on a Sunday.
This one’s easy.
I made the bread myself, but this time it was in a bread maker – MUCH easier than by hand, and often even tastier. It’s incredibly simple – one bag of bread mix, poured in to the bread maker, with 300g water and a splash of olive oil – cooked for 1hr 55 mins and then cooled for about 30 mins.
The rest you can see – thin layer of margarine, thick layer of sausages, fried egg (runny yoke) and a squirt of tommy-k.
Best way to start a Sunday!
Take photos of your own weekend masterpieces and either send me a link or post them on Twitter and Tweet @scottcolfer. Happy cooking!